Shared Studio Information
Marin Open Studios encourages artists to share their studio location by hosting additional guest / partner artists during Open Studios. Artists who do not have a studio location appropriate for holding Open Studios can be a guest / partner artist at another studio. We do our best to match artists who are looking for space with available spaces, but if we cannot the registration fee will be returned.
How Shared Studios Work
- As a potential host OR guest/partner artist, you may find a match on your own, or ask Marin Open Studios to help you.
- It’s critical that the artists involved be compatible. The selection process is similar to seeking a roommate. That means you'll need to spend time interviewing potential candidates, viewing each other's art, assessing personality and communication styes; evaluating the space available to share, and ultimately agreeing to partner together to share the space & work involved in producing the Open Studio event at the host location.
- Open communication is essential. Years of feedback shows that successful shared studios are those where artists do theri "homework" about working together long before the event.
- We post a list of potential studio locations and artists looking for space on marinopenstudios.org. Browse the lists and contact the appropriate artist/contact person if you"re interested in being a host or guest/partner with another artist.
- Note: We list potential studio sharing opportunities, but we do not negotiate final studio sharing arrangements on behalf of host or guest/partner artists.
- Artist placement must be finalized by January 30, 2020 to assign studio numbers in the Tour Guide.
- Each artist must pay the Marin Open Studios registration fee. There is no “group discount” for shared spaces.
- Shared studio space makes it convenient for visitors to see more art in one neighborhood, especially if several shared studios are near each other, thereby creating a "cluster" effect on the Tour Guide map. Clusters often experience higher traffic (although not necessarily higher sales). Statistics from previous years show that sharing a studio does NOT guarantee higher sales.
- Studio sharing allows participants promotional impact of such colaboration, however, it's important that each artist market to his/her own audience (e.g., mail list) with individual postcard mailings and emails, highlighting either one or a collage of all artists at one studio location.
Considerations for Studio Sharing
- For Hosts:
- Medium: What is your media and does it matter what media your guest(s) have? A painter, for example, may only want to share with 3D artists. But perhaps your style of painting is so unique that you wouldn't mind sharing with another painter.
- Space: What is your space to share like? Indoors or out? Shade or sun? Dirt, grass or paved? Is there wall space for hanging 2D work?
- Logistis: Would a guest artist be able to leave his/her display set up overnight? And for the intervening week? If not, do you have space to store their work inbetween?
- Display Equipment: Do you have "props" the guest artist could use (display panels, lights, tables, etc)- or will the guest have to provide them?
- Weather: If your guest is showing outdoors, what will you do about inclement weather? Plan B
- For Guest/Partner Artists:
- Cost: What are additional costs? Is there a fee to "rent" the space? Are there additional costs for shared publicity?
- Medium: Are you interested only in finding someone with a DIFFERNT medium from yours?
- Space: What are your space requirements?
- Display Equipment: Does your host have display "props" - or will you have to provide your own?
- Weather: If showing outdoors, what will you do about unforeseen, inclement weather? Plan B?
- Find a Match
- Take a pro-active role in your studio search. Regularyly check the list of studio spaces available on marinopenstudios.org or contact the studio matching coordinator.
Once Your Decide on Studio Partner(s)
- General considerations:
- Do you want to display your work ompletely separate from each other- or are there complementary themes that would lend themselves to mingling?
- When can you meet to evaluate the display spaces and work out a plan for getting ready for the show?
- Space and Display:
- Will the space need to be prepared-cleaned, painted, outside areas groomed?
- When will the exhibit be prepared? (week before, day before)?
- What supplies are needed? Are hanging supplies, painting or rehabbing pedestals needed?
- Signs: How many in total will you need? Who will be responsibile for putting them out each Friday night or Saturday mroning and taking them down on Sunday nights?
- Will you do any joint marketing or just your own (post card mailing, ad placement, email blasts, etc)?
- Hospitality: What refrestments will you provide (if any) and who will buy what? Will one person count visits for the whole studio- or will each of you?
- Parking: Where will guests park and how will you make that clear to visitors?
- Clean up at end: Responsible for clean up at the end.
Shared Studios Available Now
Please contact the following to find a shared studio that will work for you.
- 1337 4th Street San Rafael: Available May 2-3 & 9-10
- Contact Stan Gibbs: email@example.com 415-451-8119
- 905 4th Street San Rafael: Available May 2-3 & 9-10
- Contact Lauren Purcell: firstname.lastname@example.org 415-521-5225
Isabel Cook Center
- 1000 Sir Francis Drake Studio 22A San Anselmo: Available May 2-3 & 9-10
- Contact Stacey Kamp: email@example.com 415-454-1301
Marin Art and Garden Center
- 30 Sir Francis Drake, Ross: Available May 2-3 & 9-10
- Contact Stacey Kamp: firstname.lastname@example.org 415-454-1301
- Curated: $175 per weekend
- 500 Palm Drive, Novato: Available May 2-3 & 9-10
- Contact: email@example.com 415-506-0137
- Members have priority: $75 per weekend
Marin Society of Artists
- 1515 Third Street, San Rafael: Available May 2-3 & 9-10
- Contact John Henry: firstname.lastname@example.org 415-516-3218
- Accepting nonmembers after 12/15/19: $75-$180 for 60-144 sq ft
Tiburon Landmarks Art and Garden Center
- 841 Tiburon Boulevard, Tiburon: Available May 2-3
- Contact Patty Flax: email@example.com 415-819-9927
- Juried: $75
- 1020 B Street San Rafael: Available May 2-3 & 9-10
- Contact: Chris Yalonis: firstname.lastname@example.org 415-309-0331