Criteria, Guidelines & Fees
Criteria & guidelines:
- Event is May 6-7, 2017 for Central and South Marin*: Sausalito, Tiburon, Belvedere, Mill Valley, Corte Madera, Larkspur, Greenbrae, Kentfield, Ross and central San Rafael (94901 zip code)
- Event is May 13-14, 2017 for West and North Marin*: Stinson Beach, Bolinas, Olema, Inverness, Pt. Reyes, Marshall, San Geronimo, Woodacre, Fairfax, San Anselmo, northern San Rafael (94903 zip code) and Novato
- Artists may optionally choose to hold Open Studio on both weekends.
- Artists must be in their studio 11 – 6 Saturday and Sunday of their designated weekend (both weekends if they choose the two-weekend option).
- Marin Open Studios is open to all visual artists. Participants must have an address in Marin County where their work will be shown on the designated weekends of Marin Open Studios.
- Artists are responsible for determining and finalizing their studio location by January 30, 2017 to be guaranteed inclusion in the printed MOS Tour Guide. Artists who want to participate in Marin Open Studios, but do not currently have a suitable location are encouraged to begin searching right away. MOS will assist artists in finding a host studio to the extent possible. Artist registration fees will be refunded if suitable space is not found.
- Items sold during Marin Open Studios are those made by the MOS artist. Items created by someone else may NOT be shown or sold.
- Reminder: A valid seller’s permit is required by the California State Board of Equalization. Licenses can be obtained through the State Board of Equalization by contacting (800) 400-7115 or http://www.boe.ca.gov/info/reg.htm
- Registration must be complete by January 30, 2017 to be guaranteed inclusion in the MOS Tour Guide. A complete registration consists of:
- Registration form completed
- Registration fee paid
- Artwork image submitted
- Marin Open Studio’s web site, gallery and shows are public and we ask artists to keep that in mind when they choose works of art to post on the web site or to hang in the gallery and shows. Marin Open Studios reserves the right to approve and/or remove images and messages posted by artists on its website or pieces of art placed in its Gallery and pop up shows.
Fees & additional expenses:
- Participation Fee: $295 per artist ($320 per artist if paid after January 30, 2017).
- Referral refund: Any registered Marin Open Studios artist will receive a $25 registration refund for each “NEW” artist they refer.. For the purpose of this credit, a “NEW” artist is anyone who has never participated in Marin Open Studios, or who has not participated in the past 3 years. To receive the referral refund, please ask the new artist to enter your name in the “referred by” question on the registration form. Refunds will be issued after the January 30 registration print deadline.
- Each artist is required to contribute 3-4 hours of volunteer time or pay a “buy-out fee” of $50.00. Artists sign up for specific volunteer jobs on a first come, first served basis. Refer to Page 5 for details. If you do not fulfill your hours, you will be offered work opportunities after the event, or billed for remaining hours.
- Commissions on sales: Marin Open Studios requires a 20% commission of the artwork sale price for any piece that is sold through the Gallery.
* Two weekends option: Artists may choose to hold Open Studios on their designated weekend only, or during both weekends.